Sunday, August 8, 2010

Grinding Grannies

I really like Ugandan dancing. They make their own fun. Someone just starts up clapping and singing and then everyone else follows suit. They tie scarves and towels around each others waists to encourage them to dance. Its a really positive sort of environment. The songs are like anthems thanking individuals by name for the work that they do. When you are thanked by name, it is your time in spot light and you are expect to shake you hips with as much speed as you can muster. My only complaint: I can't say I felt entirely at ease when an old, feisty Ugandan lady danced up to me and began what could only be described as grinding. Circumstances being what they were, I think a few beers would improve the festivities considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment